Sunday, June 14, 2009

Color Inspiration Challenge #54




Here's this weeks card for Kristina Werner's Color Inspiration Challenge.

I went crazy and made 3 cards!

The first one is a Father's Day card. I think this is my favorite but I'm not sure. I just adore this little owl from the "Owl Together Now" Stampin' Up set. The owl is stamped with teal ink on light blue paper. The sentiment is stamped with the same teal ink and may be easier to see the color. Inside it says "we do!". I colored the owl in with a lighter teal pencil for contrast and also colored his feet and beak orange. The branch is stamped with green chalk ink on all 3 cards. I shaded the edges of the blue paper with a teal chalk for contrast. The background paper is from a halloween paper set I got from Martha Stewart's line a few years ago. I also added a darker orange chalk around the edges for contrast.



The second one is very similar to the first one but I used a lighter teal ink from Encore called celadon. I had no idea what celadon is or means so I looked it up. Webster's says it's a "grayish-yellow green". Do you think that looks grayish-yellow green? I think it looks like a light teal and I see no gray or yellow. *shrugs*. It's a little hard to see in the photo because it's such a soft color. I used an orange ribbon here rather than the green. I changed the sentiment on this one, too. Overall I like it, but the teal might too light on this paper....however, it's my husband's favorite of the 3.



For the last one everything on the blue paper is pretty much the same as the first card except the sentiment is different. I used the teal/green/white floral paper from American Crafts as the background this time because it fit the challenge so well. The ribbon is sooo yummy. Another one of my estate sale finds. It's the most satiny luscious stuff and I got the spool for less than a dollar. So many bargains to be found in sewing stuff at estate sales.

Speaking of bargains, I got the American Crafts paper for the last card from Big Lots. If you don't have Big Lots in your area, it's just one of those closeout retailers who sells everything for crazy low prices. They had a 60 sheet paper pack from American Crafts for $8 bucks...that's around .14 cents per sheet. I also got a 100 piece American Crafts page elements package that has 6 different pattered papers, 2 spools of ribbon, 2 kinds of brads and buttons for $3 bucks. Crazy! I can't wait to use the paper from this set....it's so pretty. As we were checking out, the woman in front of us had the same paper I had, but she also had a bunch of packages of buttons and Thickers! I missed those somehow!? She noticed me looking at all her things and then saw my basket and said "You're not getting Thickers?". I told her I didn't see them and she suggested I get out of line and go back because they had tons of them and they were only $2. I tell you what.....it was hard not to go back...I'm kinda wishing I had. If you have a store like this in your area, go check them out. Stuff changes on a regular basis and the deals are great!

Anyway, hope you like my cards :)

3 comments:

Jane said...

so adorable! love that owl!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Cute card! :) Great job with the color challenge! TFS :) Mona

Winter said...

So cute! Love the patterned paper!

 Hello, I'm still here!