Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving

The history of Thanksgiving is a pretty long story....dates back to 1621. I've gone into that before, so let's talk about Thanksgiving today. The way it is now. Things are a lot different than they were back in 1621. While it's nice to be nostalgic, but this time we'll talk about the way we celebrate today.

Maybe you are yearning for more tradition? I think I am. Thanksgiving has, sadly, become a day to just "do" and get it over with rather than look forward to and enjoy. But it will never get better if I don't try and change it (tho seems I am the only one trying). It can be hard to change things so I will start out slow. This year I'm going to try do something small to make Thanksgiving a little more....interesting. Don't ask me how....I have not figured that out yet. It will come to me.

Sandra Magsamen, author of "Living Artfully" says that Thanksgiving is a day to acknowledge and express how grateful we are for all that we have. And of course we all know that's what it's about. I tell Greg I am most thankful for him each Thanksgiving (as well as many other things). However, this might not make the Thanksgiving "event" any easier. So, she suggests a guest book.

A guest book?!

It's a cool idea actually. Each person has a guest book with their name on it. I'd just get a nice note pad for each person. Pass each of the "books" around throughout the night so each guest can write at least one reason they appreciate the person whose name is on the cover. Chances are everyone will roll their eyes and think this is corney. But Sandra says when her family did it, and I quote: "As if by magic, each small volume became filled with heartfelt messages. When the evening was over, every person left with a keepsake that recorded the many ways he or she was indeed special."

Now that sounds nice. I'm not sure I'll do that with my family, but it does sound like a way to truly celebrate "Thanks-giving".

--

P.S. Happy Birthday Bob!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Birthday wish!

As to what I am thankful for about you is your personal stamped cards, your support of your Mom and Dad, your help when asked to do a favor for Laura (jr), the great pictures on Fliker, and your wanting to change the outlooks of people about Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Greg.

Love, Bob

Kitty said...

Hope you have a wonderful evening :)

And thanks so much for the kind words. You always have such nice things to say and I appreciate that very much. I am thankful my sister found you and you became my brother-in-law ;)

xxoo

 Hello, I'm still here!