Tuesday, March 08, 2011

What am I supposed to be doing?

I go back to this question all the time. What am I supposed to be doing? The answer is, I have no idea. I know what I'm not supposed to be doing....so maybe I'm half way there?

I hear the success stories. Someone who took a risk and it paid off in amazing ways. They're living their dream. And then there are the people who stumble into success. They do something having no idea it will be anything more than some little project they had to take care of....and boom....it's their calling.

And then there are the people like me who sit and wonder what the heck their calling is. Does everyone have a calling? Because I think the vast majority of people go to their 9-5 jobs and just wait for retirement. I can't think of someone I know who found their dream job. Or maybe not a job, but just found their dream and ran with it....whatever it is.

A lot of times it seems like people try to make things they like doing their big dream. Let's use fishing as an example. A guy, I'll call him Heathcliff, loves to fish and Heathcliff is good at it so everyone tells him he needs to be a professional fisherman. Heathcliff thinks about it and does love to fish, but he wonders if he really wants to fish for a living? Fishing on his days off and vacations is what he likes, but would he really be happy doing it day in and day out? Heathcliff isn't sure. Or there's the computer geek, Boris. Everyone tells Boris he should be a professional geek. But would working on broken computers be a dream for Boris? I can honestly tell you, broken computers are a serious pain in the ass, so I can't imagine that would be anyone's dream....but that's just me.

So I don't think it's as easy as looking at the things you like to do in your spare time and trying to turn them into cash. That almost makes me think I'd start to dread my hobby if I became a slave to it. And it requires passion. You really gotta love it...want it. I like to craft....but I honestly can't see myself cranking out cards for a living. And besides, how much can you make selling cards? I'd have to make a sell a zillion cards to actually make any money.....I'd have no time to sleep. So I know making and selling cards can't be my calling. How could it be? I mean....if I'm missing something here just tell me.

So again I sit wondering.....what am I supposed to be doing?

2 comments:

littlemikemack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
littlemikemack said...

....cool new look.
-
I'm convinced that as we age, the "self questioning" only increases. Million $ question certainly. I'm still waiting for someone to answer it for me.

 Hello, I'm still here!