Monday, November 24, 2008

lash-tastic

Warning to boys, this is about make-up so it likely have you yawing by the second sentence.

I'm searching for the perfect mascara. I'm not sure I will ever find it. Here are my findings so far. Please leave a comment if you use a brand you really like.

My rating system:
1= don't waste your time
10= buy stock in it

Bad Gal Lash: The brush on this is HUGE. I got kinda excited about that, but it turns out that, for me, a big brush is bad because when I get close to the base of my lashes, it gets on my eyelid. So I spent half my time removing unwanted smudges. On a scale of 1-10, I want so bad to give it a good score, but the brush brings it down to a 4.

Prescriptives "false lash" mascara: This stuff works ok, but it's expensive and does not live up to the "false lash" name. It gets really good reviews online, but I just didn't get what all the wow is about. I give it a 5 out of 10.

Laura Mercer: This is also expensive, but so far it is the best I've tried. The brush is really the key to why I like it. The bristles are close together so it goes on really well and gives good even coverage. The only problem is, it does not have staying power. By the end of the day it is wearing off. I give it 6.5 out of 10.

Maybelline Volume Express Turbo Boost: This could be the worst stuff I have ever used. I had to put on coat after coat and by then it looked awful. The mascara itself is "thin" and the bristles on the brush are not close enough together to apply evenly. This gets a 1 out of 10.

Smashbox Bionic Mascara: I had high hopes for it. I mean anything with the word Bionic in the name should be tops, right? Not. The mascara itself is good if you like waterproof. However, I don't groove on that. I didn't know that when I bought it. So being waterproof, it's really hard to get off. The other thing is, the tube it comes in. When you pull the brush out, the mascara is really caked on there. So either the opening to the tube needs to be smaller or the brush needs to be thicker. What's interesting is, I put the brush from my old Laura Mercer mascara in this tube (it has a bigger brush) and it comes out with just the right amount of mascara on it and works great! So clearly they have to work on the brush. Again, the only problem is that it is waterproof. I even use eye makeup remover and sometimes that won't get it off either. I'm giving this a 4 out of 10 since the only way I can use it is to use another products brush.

Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara: I used this for years. I loved it and it worked pretty good for $8. I started looking at other mascara because it has problems with staying power. It also flakes a little bit with age. When you get a brand new tube of it, the flaking isn't much of a problem, but I guess it dries out pretty fast in the tube. I give this one a 5.5 out of 10.

That's what I got so far. I'm not sure what I will try next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use Maybelline full and soft... i love this stuff, the bristles on it are close-together, but the brush itself isnt too long so it doesnt smudge... if you apply one coat, then go to the other eye, apply a coat there, and then go back and recoat it looks great... i've switched to other mascara's and ALWAYS end up back with this one... and for REALLY dramatic lashes i apply a couple more coats..
plus, it's got staying power... but not to the point where its a pain to get it off at the end of the day. =]

hope that helps!

MsMarch

 Hello, I'm still here!