Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I have been thinking about a photo of the day project to get me back into taking photos. Shooting the alphabet. Everyday I would have to take a photo of something that starts with the corresponding letter of the day. Sounds like a good idea....except I am having a hard time actually saying I will do it. I am getting stuck on a few letters. Like, what in the heck am I going to take a photo of that starts with a K....or a Q? So far I have some ideas for A-G, but I got to H and was like...um....humm. So nothing like setting myself up to not finish the project because I can't find an H thing.

So, here is where you all come in :) Can you think of something for these letters that would be easy enough to come by in everyday life that would actually make an interesting photograph? See....I could easily take a picture of a Q-Tip for Q....but....you know....not very interesting.....a photo of a Q-Tip. So it's not just as easy as finding something that starts with Q...it has to be Q and interesting.

h
i
j
k
n
q
r
t
u
w
x
y
z


Let me know if you have any ideas.

And now, a recipe.

Elizabeth Yarnell's Sweet Tart Chicken

"Pomegranate molasses gives a taste that is sweet but with a tartness reminiscent of cranberries that is satisfying for the kid in all of us. Great with boneless, skinless thighs, this chicken dish is almost glazed with flavor. Don't forget to spoon the sauce at the bottom of the pot over each serving as you won’t want to miss a drop!

For this recipe, I cut my Brussels sprouts in half from pole to pole, with the stem end being the south pole. Brussels sprouts that touch the side or lid of the pot may get some roasted leaves. If you would prefer to avoid this, simply keep them away from the edges of the pot, or cover with sauce."


1/4 medium onion, halved and sliced
3 to 4 chicken thighs (1/2 to 3/4 pound)
sea salt
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
2 to 3 unpeeledoiling potatoes, scrubbed and cut in 1-inch cubes
1/3 acorn squash, peeled or not, seeded, and cut in large chunks
10 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
4 to 6 crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced

Preheat the oven to 450° F.

Spray the inside of a Dutch oven and lid with canola oil.
Scatter the onion evenly in the pot.
Arrange the chicken pieces in a layer and lightly season with salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the pomegranate molasses and mustard until the mustard is almost emulsified. Pour half the mixture over the chicken.

Arrange the potatoes on top, followed by the chunks of squash, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Scatter the halved Brussels sprouts in next, topping them with the mushroom slices. Pour the rest of the mustard mixture over all.
Cover and bake for about 45 minutes, or until 3 minutes after the aroma of a fully cooked meal escapes the oven. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

littlemikemack said...

Hand
I (yourself)
Jewelry, Juice, Jam
Kite, Knife
Nail, Nose
Quilt
Raisin, Rice, Rust, Ring
Tree, Tea cup
Umbrella
Waffle
Xerox
Yarn,Yolk, Yogurt, Youth
Zipper

....shrugs shoulders

Anonymous said...

Let's see,
H: Hotels, hallways, Hibiscus,
I: Star of India, Insects,
J: Jelly Beans, jello, junk food, jelly,
K: K street in the Gaslamp, someone in Kilts (you have one), knitting or knitted things,
N: Needles (that you knit with), night shots,
Q: Questions, like why did they put a window there? Confusing street signs, quite areas,
R: Radios, radiators, rodents, rakes, with leaves,
T: Tiles or tile work, trees, tables,
U: Uniforms, under-things, upside down items,
W: Waves, water, wells, wide things,
X: I have to think about this one,
Y; Yellow items,
Z: I would say zebras, but there has to be more.

Good luck, Bob

Anonymous said...

Hummingbird
Insect, Iron
Jumprope
Kale, Keylime, Keyboard
N
Quarter, quail, quartz, quad
Ruffle
Truffle
U
Waiter
X-ray
Yam
Z

All I got
L

Anonymous said...

H- high rises; honey.
I- instruments
K- Kites
N- noisy things (jackhammer?)
Q- quakers!! aka ducks! Qualcomm
R- raindrops?
T- time (clock);
U- undies from victoria's secret
Y- yummy things. yo-yo. you.
Z- zero (something empty). i like the zipper idea.

msmarch

 Hello, I'm still here!