Wednesday, July 25, 2007

issues of the pumpkin variety

My pumpkins are green.

They look like watermelons.

Are they supposed to look like watermelons?

I think not.

The ones I planted a few years ago were orange from the begining. There was one that did start to turn orange....only I discovered that was because it was dying!

I looked around on a few websites to see about colors of pumpkins and I saw this.

Did you see that big ole green one? Not a good sign. I want orange ones.

These are 3 of mine. I have 6 total:

Mr. Big. From the name I guess you can tell this is the biggest one I have.

This one has no name yet.

Meet Scar. He gets his name from that scar he has. Looks like stitches to me. I've always wondered how pumpkins get those marks on them. As you can see, the vines have sharp little thorns on them. The thorny vines rub on the young pumpkins and leave those marks. Now you can tell people that when you shop for pumpkins. Maybe they will be impressed.....or maybe they will just think you have too much time on your hands.

Anyway, not a speck of orange on them! Hummmm. Well, if they never turn orange, I guess green will have to do. During my web search, I did find a recipe for "Green Pumpkin Pie" so I guess I could make that. I can just see Greg making the "eeewww!" face. He does not like pumpkin pie (*Pumpkin Pie!). I can just imagine the thought of a green pumpkin pie would make him shudder.

Oh, and the other thing I read was if you plant them too early and leave them on the vine past harvest time (120 days), they will start to rot inside. So if they are ready October 1st and and I leave them on the vine for 31 more days.....I'll be screwed.

* I'm 99.9% sure only Laura and Greg will get this.

2 comments:

littlemikemack said...

re: " I'm 99.9% sure only Laura and Greg will get this"

your right

Anonymous said...

What's the difference...

;)
L

 Hello, I'm still here!