Monday, January 04, 2010

Love Hard ~ Forgive Harder

That is one of my 101 things to do before I die.

It's said that when you forgive something, you feel a sense of relief because you no longer carry it in your heart and your head. It's also said that forgiving something is one of the hardest things to do.

The true meaning of the word is:

1 a: to give up resentment of or claim to requital for b: to grant relief from payment of
2: to cease to feel resentment against (an offender) : pardon (forgive one's enemies) intransitive verb: to grant forgiveness


I'm not sure anyone really forgives in the true sense of the word. I think most people say they forgive but in actuality they just resolve to be polite and not let it further interfere in things. I'd bet money I am right about that because I don't think we, as a society, have developed in a way that promotes forgiveness. Think about that for a minute. You just really don't see true forgiveness very much. As an example, when you watch the news or talk shows and you see stories of a mother forgiving her child's killer, we are stunned. As a society we see that as an unforgivable act of violence. But even "small things" are deemed unforgivable these days.

I have nothing even close to that example to forgive, but I am getting better at forgiving or "letting go" of the things that I've held onto and also not letting new things bother me. To be honest, I just don't care anymore. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It just means when things happen, I don't feel like giving it any of my time and energy....it's not worth it. I think this is due to age, but not entirely sure.

Now this isn't to say I have written off every single thing and I glow with forgiveness (hee!). But it does mean a new chapter in life and it's all for the better....my better. I don't think I can cross that off my list just yet, but maybe by the end of the year :)

No comments:

 Hello, I'm still here!