Thursday, July 13, 2006

Handmade

I make cards. I usually make all the cards I give. I've been thinking it might be a good time to start working my holiday cards so I have them ready and don't have to rush when I realize it's December 1st and have not laid down any red or green ink. However, something has happened. I've lost the spark that fuled my creative card making desires. Sitting down to make a card now is like a job rather than a fun hobby. It does not help that there are tons of cute cards out there to buy....like this one or this one. Why make cards when you can buy such cute ones? And the fact of the matter is, sometimes I wonder if people even care that I made the card. I know my family and a few close friends seem to like them, but I'm not sure if other people really care about little stuff like that. It's a lot of work to make cards, so when people don't notice, it's....well honestly, it's a let down.

At a birthday dinner, I gave a card to a friend (who will remain nameless) and this person didn't really look at the front of it, opened it, found the gift certificate and that was it. The card was of no interest. It sat among the empty plates of food and got wet from beads of sweat rolling off glasses into puddles. Upon leaving, the gift certificate was quickly retrieved but the card was left to be discarded by the busboy. So that person will not get another handmade card. If cards don't ring their bell, so why bother making them one?

Do you suppose the same thing happens to the holiday cards I mail to people? Maybe they are barely noticed and go right into the trash? I mean, there isn't even a gift certificate in those (usually) so there isn't even that to draw interest.

I just wonder if it is worth all the effort I put into making them if people don't care.

God, I sound like little depressed Charile Brown from that Charile Brown Chistmas special....

7 comments:

littlemikemack said...

Charlie Brown: Thanks for the Christmas card you sent me Violet.
Violet: I didn't send you a Christmas card Charlie Brown.
Charlie Brown: Don't you know sarcasm when you hear it ?

Tom said...

I send hundreds of cards every year to people all over the U.S. and I'm a guy. (scratching head) I always find unique ones that will at least give that person a quick chuckle and a split second thought that I had the gonads to make the effort to let them know they are in my thoughts. I used to save all the ones I got back but as they pile up, I can understand why people throw them out. Recycle the clutter cause there 's more on the way, as long as you remember me on that thoughtful day. Peace!!! :-P

Anonymous said...

I really is too bad that we live in a throw away world. For the most part, people are so focused on themselves, that they do not see an item such as a handmade card as a symbol of love, friendship, or that they are thought of as a special person by the giver.

We enjoy them, and keep them. We have all the different season cards and display them when we decorate.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into the cards. There is some truth to syko tom's comment about the recycle, however I believe he is talking about the "cute" store bought cards and not special hand made ones. So few people go to the effort that keeping them is not a problem.

Hope you make me one!

Have a really great weekend. Go to the Gaslamp around 8:00 pm and walk throgh a few bars and enjoy the music and people.

Love,
Bob

littlemikemack said...

I don't make cards, but I often "alter" them to customize for the individual...do a little cut-n-pasting, etc. I don't think much of it, but most family members are disappointed when they see I gave a generic/unaltered card. As far as the "speciality" cards now available, surely Hallmark (and others) won't (and hasn't) sit quitely to the side and watch others profit at their expense.

Anonymous said...

i love your cards, they always amaze me. but i guess i understand where youre coming from. all the hard work you put into them is being overlooked, and i guess that used to be ok because you did it for fun, but now its not fun anymore =[

i say, if you want to, make those special cards for the people that seem to really enjoy them, and send the "loser" cards to those that dont.

MsMarch.

littlemikemack said...

Just back from the crazy WalMart.
I have upwards of 25 nieces and nephews, not sure of the exact number (no time to figure exactly how many at this point). This is a "bit" I do. We often "combine" birthday parties for the kids. Tomorrow we are having 5 birthdays rolled into one ! (a record in our family for sure) I bought 5 of the same birthday cards...I'll write each of the five kids names on each card. Then I'll get a hi-lighter to identify one card for each seperate kid. Again, my family is fairly easy to amuse, to this should work out well, that's my "bit"..."my act" (no matter how corny it might be)

Kitty said...

Mike, 25 nieces and nephews? Sheesh. I'd be buying cards if I had that many!

Syko Tom, I'm glad to hear there are guys out there who don't mind the task of browsing the card isle :)

Bob, you made my day! You will always get a handmade card from me. xo

MsMarch, I guess what I was trying to convey is that on top of it not being all that much fun anymore, I wonder if it is worth it to try to get inspired again if no one really cares if they get a card.

 Hello, I'm still here!